Friday, August 14, 2015

New System almost up and running.

Well I have made some progress on the new system, I located and resourced some lumber from a local sign company that throws out the shipping crates they get from Phoenix so after what seemed like an eternity of nails, screws and staples removed I came up with some nice used lumber for my project. some 2x4s and some 1x4s helped make up the frame work of the stands I am using to support the grow beds.


After building out the grow bed supports next came water and plumbing tests, I soon realized that 3/4 PVC wasn't going to be exactly what I wanted so a trip to Lowes and some plumbing magic later and I was back to it , I had bought a Fimco, Manufacturing index valve from my friend Vlad Jovanovic over at Atria Aquagardens and after setting it up I noticed that the valve wasn't indexing at all water would pour out of both zones at the same time, so I referenced Fimco's web site and eventually called Vlad on the phone , come to find out that my Pump was vastly undersized so I sourced a new pump with a capacity to pump 2700gph instead of 620gph, this solved the problem and I was back in business.



I also Bought some new grow media form a local shop in Prescott,AZ called AB Hydroponics they sell all the typical Hydro stuff but also have some Aquaponics going on there too. the media I bought is called Grow stones they are a pumice like stone made form recycled glass not too far away in Albuquerque, New Mexico. the price was right so I bought 4 and a half cubic feet or 126 liters just enough to fill one of my grow beds they are light weight and low dust so they are better than hydroton clay pebbles a 42 liter bag only weighs about 16 lbs.

More on this project as it develops.






No comments:

Post a Comment